Before launching right into homeschooling, it might be a good idea to get some background on the basics of homeschooling so that you can avoid expensive mistakes, burnout, and driving yourself (and your kids) crazy. Here is a starting reading list for learning a bit more about the homeschool world:
- Bauer, Susan Wise. The Well-Trained Mind, 4th Edition. Norton, 2016. ISBN 978-0393253627
- Bogart, Julie. The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life. Tarcher Perigee, 2019. ISBN 978-0143133223.
- Dodd, Sandra. Big Book of Unschooling. lulu.com 2009. ISBN 978-0557181551.
- Levinson, Catherine. A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual. Sourcebooks, 2000. ISBN 978-1891400162.
- Duffy, Cathy. 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. Grove Publishing, 2014. ISBN 978-0929320199
Don’t forget to head to your local Delaware Public Library and check out the homeschooling shelf! There are many titles available on topics ranging from Unschooling to ADHD to college prep! And while you are there, ask the librarian about getting a homeschool educator library card, programming for homeschoolers, and other great resources. Frankly, our library system ROCKS!
Ready to explore some specifics? Head to a homeschool meet and greet activity and ask other homeschoolers if you can see what they are using, or start browsing our lists of resources!